Sunday, August 7, 2011

           John is one of my favorite kids that lives in Shimo. He is one of the dirtiest children I have ever met. He is one of the lucky ones, who has a monther that really loves and care for him, but despite that he is constantly covered from head to toe in dirt. One day, we were walking through Shimo one day and saw that all of the kids that go to a school down there had been given baths and new clothes. I was so excited to see John that day because I have never seen him clean. When I ran into him he was in the same dirty clothes he always wears. We asked why and he said it was because he didn’t want new clothes. His pants never fit and his little butt is always hanging out. He fights with all the other kids especially if they try to hold my hand. He has claimed me at his “mzungu” (white person) and is very protective. He starts fights and then cries because most of the time he is over powered. Despite all of that, he is an angel in my eyes. Whenever I am in Shimo without fail John shows up out of nowhere.

John
              On Saturdays we walk through the community and go into the people’s homes and ask them a few questions so that we can get to know them better. One of the Kenyans that came with us on the walk through calls John our disciple because he follows us everywhere. We were in Shimo for four and a half hours and John walked into each and every house with us. We even asked him to stay outside at most of the houses and somehow he ended up right by my side in every home. We tried to tell him to go home and get food because he missed lunch and he cried when we tried to make him leave us. We were tired and hungry, but John was still a bundle of energy. He walked with us all the way home, which is a fifteen minute walk, uphill the whole way. 
Still clinging and grabbing at my arm after a long day of walking.
Today we were walking to visit Patrick and Ester, and John came with us. He was helping us carry a bag and when we got to the bridge he slowed down. He handed me the bag and was gripping the railing with both hands because he was terrified. We finally made it across and then it started raining. So we went and took shelter inside the twins house. John stood in the doorway for a while laughing hysterically at every person walking out in the rain. When we were walking home he was greeting everyone we walked past. He is such  a sweet boy, and I love going down to Shimo and seeing his sweet, smiling face. 


John refused to look at the camera...

So I made it happen

Me with Dorcas, John and Franco
Franco (notice John's arm trying to push him away)

Walking down the slippery path to the bridge

Halfway across the bridge

So happy he made it across. 

No comments:

Post a Comment