Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Discover to Recover

On Saturday we had the chance to go back to one of my favorite places in all of Kitale. Discover to Recover is a center where children who are effected by HIV/AIDS can live and be supported. There are about 50 children who live at the center. About half of them are infected with HIV/AIDS  and many of the others are orphaned or unable to be cared for due to the effects that HIV/AIDS  has had on their families. These children are some of my favorites and I absolutely love spending time with them. It felt so great to be greeted with great big hugs and ear to ear smiles when I saw all of them. They all have grown so much since the last time I saw them. Here are a few pictures with a few of the kids. 


Me with Silvia, one of the sweetest twelve year old girls I've ever met. 


Here I am with Derek, Churchill and Benja, some of the youngest boys at the center. 

Leila came to Discover with us this week, she is my very best friend in Kenya. She has the biggest heart and a huge passion for helping the children who she sees daily who are in desperate need of some sort of support and help. Two years ago, I got to watch her become a Christian and it is great to see how much her life has changed. Currently she volunteers her time at Oasis of Hope and loves on the many street kids who come to the center daily for school. I am looking forward to getting to spend more time with her. If she could, she would grab up every child she found that needed a home and care for them. She also has a huge passion for the children of Discover to Recover and I am looking forward to serving with her and learning from her during the time I am here.


Here is Leila with Kevin, one of the newest arrivals to the Discover to Recover Center. 
The orphanage where he was living closed and he was brought to the center in the middle of the night and dropped off. 
Now he is in a good place where he can get the love and care that he needs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment