Sunday, September 30, 2012


The kids have been a little under the weather this week. A cold has been circulating around the house so we’ve made a few doctor’s visits this week. One thing I realize when I take the kids into town is how much everyone stares. Of course people are going to stare, I’m white and walking around with kids who are a little different than most. The thing that gets me the most is how insensitive people can be. Right in front of me, right in front of my kids they are discussing what their problem could be, talking about how short they are or saying that they must be crazy because they are making weird noises. It used to make me furious. Then I realized people just really don’t know. It’s not like at home where kids with disabilities are out and about in public. Where we see them at our schools and churches and every other public place. Here it’s different. Parents are embarrassed, confused and overwhelmed because there is no support system in place so they keep their children hidden. This is not only detrimental for the children, but also for the other people in the community. They are so uncomfortable around individuals with disabilities simply because it is something that is unfamiliar to them.

Even the doctors here simply aren’t trained to be able to identify or recognize a wide range of disabilities. If you have a child that has difficulty walking they assign the label of cerebral palsy and if the child is nonverbal then they tell you the child is mentally retarded. I’ve met good doctors who are great with diagnosing and treating other ailments, but they still assign these same labels because they simply aren’t trained or educated about disabilities. Awareness is the biggest problem. So as frustrating as it can be, when I take my kids out I try to be as understanding as possible. I try to be friendly, answer questions and hope that they are able to see my kids as the wonderful children that they are and that the next time they come across a child with a disability that they will be just a little more understanding. Pray that God will continue to use these sweet little faces to make an impact on the lives of the people living in Kitale and change how they view children with disabilities. 

1 comment:

  1. I love love love that you refer to them as "my kids"! So proud of you and in awe of your heart for your kids!

    ReplyDelete